2018-2019 Program Specialist Special Education (187 Days)
- 2018-2019 Program Specialist Special Education (187 Days) JobID: 2636
- Position Type:
Special Education/Program Specialist
- Date Posted:
Keller ISD Education Center
- Model core organizational beliefs and values; communicate openly and effectively within and across teams to maximize student success.
- Assist the Special Education teachers, support staff, campus personnel, and Special Education service providers.
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program for Special Education students and show written evidence of preparation as required; present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Assist with staff development of programs and innovation of special methods and approaches specific to meeting student needs in the special education settings.
- Assist with program development for any of the state/federal identified disability categories.
- Collaborate with principals and other campus administrators who oversee the provision of special education services at their schools.
- Serve as liaison with professionals, the community, parents and agencies regarding special education laws, procedures, policies, programs and placement.
- Assist the Executive Director in monitoring local plan implementation, legal compliance and data collection.
- Establish and maintain professional communication with parents, students, and district personnel; ensure that all interactions are supportive, courteous, and respectful.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Pursue professional development activities that align with district goals and initiatives and current professional research.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in the areas of assessment, placement, and planning for Special Education services.
- Comply with all district and local campus routines and regulations, and verbal and written directives.
- Comply with the Professional Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience serving students with disabilities
- Knowledgeable in Special Education laws and requirements
- Skill in interpreting and communicating federal law, state law and local school board policies
- Skill in implementing communication and collaboration between and among various areas of an organization
- Skill in mediation and facilitation of group and/or individual problem resolution
- Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree ( preferred)
- Valid Texas special education teacher certificate or appropriate Related Service licensure
- Three (3) years successful Special Education teaching or related services field experience.
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Frequent district-wide travel to multiple work locations as assigned
- Moderate lifting and carrying required in working with Special Education students
Job Title: Program Specialist Special Education Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Department/School: Special Education Pay Grade: Teacher Salary Schedule
Reports to: Executive Director of Special Education HR Date Approved: May 2017
Provides technical assistance and support in the area of Special Education programming. Promotes quality and compliance of programs and services to improve student achievement.
BASIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties and responsibilities noted herein, however, this list represents examples only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
INTENT AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.